Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mostly Gardening

The title of this blog post says what we've been doing most. It is that time of year.

But we also visited the new farmer's market in downtown Grand Rapids on its opening day. There were about 50 vendors. In peak season, it will be 80.




There will be an indoor market as well, but it isn't finished.


As we have a farmer's market two days a week in Grand Haven, we won't be going to the Grand Rapids one often but I did want to see it. Then is was time for a pint and some lunch.


Back at home, my veggies are all planted in pots. I have lettuce, herbs, kale, tomato, peppers, carrots, chard, potatoes, spinach, cucumbers and of course, Jack's horseradish. I also have one celery started from a celery end - never tried this before. We'll see how it goes.


Jack made me a couple trellises for the clematis. I think he did a fine job.



In right field, we've started two new gardens. One from seed and other with plants.



I got the seed on sale at the end of last year. It is sprouting now so I just need to wait and see what I have.

For the other garden, which is deep shade, we went to the newly opened Countryside Greenhouse. Their old location is now just for production. This Greenhouse is HUGE. The selection was great. Most places don't carry much in the way of shade perennials but they had a very nice selection. I'm moving the plants around in their pots for a couple days to be sure I have everything where I want it.


If you're in the area and like gardening, check it out. http://countrysidegreenhouse.com/

Of course, in addition to gardening, there are daily walks around town. Early in the month there was a motorcycle rally. I know nothing about it. Just saw them all, well heard them first.


Spring in Duncan Woods.





And back home, guess who thinks she is more important than the crossword puzzle?


No comments:

Post a Comment